The Sixers held their Autism Awareness Night March 28th dedicated to bringing awareness to and recognize those living with autism spectrum disorders. The team announced their partnership with Kulture City who creates acceptance and inclusion for all individuals with unique abilities. This includes helping businesses create Sensory Friendly or Sensory Inclusive spaces. In the context of sports that can mean Sensory Rooms at arenas, staff training and sensory bags to help kids and families with sensory needs.
Last year (2018) the Sixers Night included:
- An in-arena sensory room was created and accessible to all attending fans who live with sensory issues. The room provided a quiet space for these fans to go should they have needed a break from the in-game atmosphere.
- The room was equipped with 76ers and KultureCity sensory bags that include noise-cancelling headphones, a stress ball, a fidget toy, a weighted lap pad and a VIP arena reentry credential. As a result of the organization and arena’s recent KultureCity sensory awareness training and certification, these sensory bags will be available at all arena events.
- The 76ers celebrated local leaders who are making significant strides toward achieving inclusion for youth and young adults with autism spectrum disorders.
- Daniel Post was honored as the night’s Strong Kid of the Game. Daniel is one of the organization’s seven youth ambassadors who represent the organization’s and Sixers Youth Foundation’s programs and initiatives.
- “Mighty Mike” Simmel was recognized with the Game Changer Award. Mighty Mike hosts thousands of basketball clinics to promote inclusion through sports, including the 76ers’ annual Bounce Out the Stigma Autism Awareness Clinic. Last year’s clinic featured 50 area youth with autism spectrum disorders participating in skills and drills at the 76ers Training Complex.
The focus was to include meaningful experiences for individuals with autism spectrum disorders and their families.
Tonight, the @sixers will celebrate Autism Inclusion Night!
At every home game, sensory bags are available at Guest Services for fans with sensory needs. pic.twitter.com/IGf3vuK37O
— SIXERS STRONG (@SIXERSSTRONG) March 28, 2019
Gameops.com Plus is a network to enhance the fan value of events. Twice a month we gather for an hour-long discussion on an industry topic with a special guest to share their insights. Leaders like Zach Frongillo (Savannah Bananas), Steve Johnston (Kroenke Sports), Claire Czerniuk (Detroit Pistons), Zoltan Berensci (Harlem Globetrotters), John Franzone (Tampa Bay Lightning), Tyler Ferraro (Vegas Golden Knights), Maurice Brazelton (Sacramento Kings), Jackie Maldonado (Houston Texans), Todd Bosma (Portland Trail Blazers), and Anton Wright (MLSE) have discussed topics from developing talent to building a home-field advantage. Free One Month Trial is available now on Gameops.com PLUS.