A couple great tips for mascots from Street Characters.
Number 2 is important….don’t linger at appearances, make a great impression and then leave. If you find yourself doing nothing (just standing around), go take a break, get some energy and bound back in to make a better impression.
A lot of mascot appearances are booked by the hour, which can be a mistake. And hour block of time is fine with a crowd, but not a small group.
I have long advocated for a 1 min per person rule of thumb.
- If you are event has 10 people, 10 mins is good window of time.
- 50-100 people and you can fill and hour
More Mascot Tips
- Mascot Tips from the Pros – We asked several top NBA mascots for their advice to aspiring mascots on how to advance their mascot career and get prepared for mascot opportunities.
- Phillie Phanatic Mascot Tips – A great video on the Phanatic includes fantastic tutorial on mascotting for teams and performers.
- Mascot Mechanics – Wicall and Cudo boil down the mechanics of being a strong effective mascot character into 3 main traits: Be Aware, Be a Character and Be a Professional with 10 ways to keep your character focussed on success.
- July 2020 Party in the Back Podcast – Glenn Street joins the Party to discuss his journey from mascot to costumer, a new product designed to sanitize costumes and an important mascot tip for performers to keep at top of mind.