A couple great tips for mascots from Street Characters.
Number 2 is important….don’t linger at appearances, make a great impression and then leave. If you find yourself doing nothing (just standing around), go take a break, get some energy and bound back in to make a better impression.
A lot of mascot appearances are booked by the hour, which can be a mistake. And hour block of time is fine with a crowd, but not a small group.
I have long advocated for a 1 min per person rule of thumb.
- If you are event has 10 people, 10 mins is good window of time.
- 50-100 people and you can fill and hour
More Mascot Tips
- Mascot Tips from the Pros – We asked several top NBA mascots for their advice to aspiring mascots on how to advance their mascot career and get prepared for mascot opportunities.
- Phillie Phanatic Mascot Tips – A great video on the Phanatic includes fantastic tutorial on mascotting for teams and performers.
- Mascot Mechanics – Wicall and Cudo boil down the mechanics of being a strong effective mascot character into 3 main traits: Be Aware, Be a Character and Be a Professional with 10 ways to keep your character focussed on success.
- July 2020 Party in the Back Podcast – Glenn Street joins the Party to discuss his journey from mascot to costumer, a new product designed to sanitize costumes and an important mascot tip for performers to keep at top of mind.
Gameops.com Plus is a network to enhance the fan value of events. Twice a month we gather for an hour-long discussion on an industry topic with a special guest to share their insights. Leaders like Zack Frongillo (Savannah Bananas), Steve Johnston (Kroenke Sports), Claire Czerniuk (Detroit Pistons), Zoltan Berensci (Harlem Globetrotters), John Franzone (Tampa Bay Lightning), Tyler Ferraro (Vegas Golden Knights), Maurice Brazelton (Sacramento Kings), Jackie Maldonado (Houston Texans), Todd Bosma (Portland Trail Blazers), and Anton Wright (MLSE) have discussed a wide range of industry topics.
Coming in November “Upping your Appearance Game with Kenn Solomon and Jon Cudo” (11/9 1pm EST) and “Excellence in Live Event Hosting with Greg Hutson” (11/22 1pm EST).