A couple great tips for mascots from Street Characters.
Number 2 is important….don’t linger at appearances, make a great impression and then leave. If you find yourself doing nothing (just standing around), go take a break, get some energy and bound back in to make a better impression.
A lot of mascot appearances are booked by the hour, which can be a mistake. And hour block of time is fine with a crowd, but not a small group.
I have long advocated for a 1 min per person rule of thumb.
- If you are event has 10 people, 10 mins is good window of time.
- 50-100 people and you can fill and hour
More Mascot Tips
- Mascot Tips from the Pros – We asked several top NBA mascots for their advice to aspiring mascots on how to advance their mascot career and get prepared for mascot opportunities.
- Phillie Phanatic Mascot Tips – A great video on the Phanatic includes fantastic tutorial on mascotting for teams and performers.
- Mascot Mechanics – Wicall and Cudo boil down the mechanics of being a strong effective mascot character into 3 main traits: Be Aware, Be a Character and Be a Professional with 10 ways to keep your character focussed on success.
- July 2020 Party in the Back Podcast – Glenn Street joins the Party to discuss his journey from mascot to costumer, a new product designed to sanitize costumes and an important mascot tip for performers to keep at top of mind.
Game operations and entertainment in sports is growing, lively and diverse world. We are pulling together to talk about all aspects of event production and entertainment, and to get better along the way. Join us to connect, grow and advance. Memberships include a weekly Huddle Zoom Call with industry leaders and network members. September guests are Heather Wojciechowski-DeCaire from the Milwaukee Admirals, Barry Anderson from Chicago Mascots and Kari Norvell from the Austin Gilgronis. Conversations will focus on virtual takeaways from the pandemic season of 2020, performer-first costuming to empower your performer and creating custom music in an era that is increasing difficult to navigate music rights and clearances. Free One Month Trial is available now on Gameops.com PLUS.