The Yard Goats helps spread awareness for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community. The Goats included the American School for the Deaf ASL performance with the anthem (see below) as part of their game presentation.
According to the World Health Organization, more than 5% of the world’s population has ‘disabling’ hearing loss, which requires rehabilitation, support and/or advocacy. Additionally, more than 1 billion young adults are at risk of permanent hearing loss due to unsafe listening practices. It is estimated that more than 700 million people – or 1/10 people – will have disabling hearing loss by 2050.
- Learn sign language.
- Share stories from deaf creators.
- Support deaf businesses.
- Learn about d/Deaf culture.
- Join a d/Deaf group (ie: Phonak hEARos)
- Advocate deaf accessibility at work and in your community.
- Volunteer at non-profits, civil liberties groups, or school for the Deaf.
Related Posts from other team’s Deaf Awareness Nights:
- Deaf Awareness Upgrade by the Red Wings – Red Wings upgrade Deaf Awareness with a naming tweak and several thoughtful inclusions.
- Pelicans Deaf Jam – Myrtle Beach Goes Silent to Spread Awareness.
- Pawsox Put Pride in Deaf Awareness Night – Pawsox enlist Curtis Pride in their well-considered upcoming Deaf Awareness Night.
- Windy City Deaf Awareness Night – Windy City Bulls turned out a big Deaf Awareness Night.
- ASL for MILB – MILB is celebrating Deaf Awareness Month with a special shirt with proceeds going to charity.
- Silent Set at PSU – Clever PSU promotion supports one of their own and raises awareness.
- Sign of the Pelicans in Myrtle Beach – Custom Jerseys and extra benefit for the Deaf Community coming in August.
Sometimes the best cure for a mid-week slump is an evening at Dunkin' Donuts Park.
Join us tonight for a very special night: Deaf Awareness Night with the American School for the Deaf. Meet your favorite Heeler Puppy at the game!
Tickets ➡ https://t.co/StLNJVBVsG pic.twitter.com/6kYlrevqLg
— Hartford Yard Goats (@GoYardGoats) May 11, 2022