The Fightin’ Phils nearby parent club’s famous mascot will be making its annual trip to Reading this month. Always a big draw the Phanatic revs up the crowd (and players) and provides a full night of entertainment to the Reading fans.
I had the chance to catch this show a few years ago and can attest the power of the big green monster to be the center of attention and entertain the masses.
These mascot showcases are near and dear to my heart. First, seeing The San Diego Chicken at Minnesota Kicks game at age nine set my professional future (read more if you need that back story). Then later as a professional mascot I toured the country as a mascot touring act providing additional entertainment for profession and college teams. While this model has faded in the last 25 years, the value remains when properly utilized like the Reading team uses the Phanatic.
— Reading Fightin Phils (@ReadingFightins) July 10, 2022
We have lots more on the Phanatic on our site, including:
- Phillie Phanatic Mascot Tips – A great video on the Phanatic includes fantastic tutorial on mascotting for teams and performers.
- A Philly Love Story/Mascot Skit – Here is a mascot ‘skit’ that is atypical in nearly every way …but one every performer can learn from.
- Phillies are a Cutout Above – Teams across the country are playing it safe by replacing fans with COVID-free cardboard cutouts of fans. And the Philadelphia Phillies are doing it a cut above everyone else.
- Doing the Wave – Alone. – Phillie Phanatic does the wave. Alone. A sign of the times.
- Power of Fun by Dave Raymond – When preparing David Raymond for the Phanatic debut the general manager of the Phillies Bill Giles gave him some life altering advice.
- Former Phanatic David Raymond has been a frequent guest on the Gameops.com/Party in the Back Podcast – Click for those appearances