Best Team Operations:
Which team is doing the best job in their game operations and game presentation. We level the playing field by considering budget constraints to minor league teams. Consider creativity, value to fans, overcoming sport and budget limitations, quality of presentation, and attention to detail.
Winners: Vegas Golden Knights
Another blowout winner for the Vegas Golden Knights dominating our panel for the Best Team Operations of 2018. From their creative over-the-top introductions to Vegas-meets-Gladitors performance teams all built around a well-defined stylized brand Vegas, the Golden Knights set the standard in 2018.
A rival NHL executive said “Vegas brought the party to the NHL and it caught the attention of the sports world through their fantastic use of live action elements. You can always expect a great atmosphere regardless of what’s happening on the ice.”
Another industry insider exclaimed “Massive kudos for how Vegas is changing NHL game presentation.”
The Fortress wouldn't be The Fortress without the Knight Line presented by @drumbots 😎
Who else is pumped to have them back for season 2?!?! 😀 pic.twitter.com/mUfNqNCHuc
— Vegas Golden Knights (@GoldenKnights) November 24, 2018
In a window less than a year, Vegas built their game operations staff from scratch, wove Vegas-showmanship into a hockey format, then changed their entire season-opening plan to help their community heal and bond after the October 1st Las Vegas Shooting mere blocks from their venue. Along the way to a most unlikely Stanley Cup Finals appearance by an expansion team the Vegas crew found their footing and innovated a pre-show unlike sports has ever seen.
“The Vegas Golden Knights organization made a huge splash on the scene well beyond their play on the ice,” said one panelist and they changed the game for our entire industry.
Also receiving praise were the Lansing Lugnuts, Brooklyn Cyclones and Saint Paul Saints.
- Best of 2017 – Nashville Predators and Hartford Yard Goats
- Best of 2016 – Saint Paul Saints and Fresno Grizzlies
- Best of 2015 – Minnesota Timberwolves and Brooklyn Cyclones
- Best of 2014 – Memphis Grizzlies, Durham Bulls, Milwaukee Admirals
- Best of 2013 – Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, Portland Timbers, Grand Rapids Griffins and Minnesota Timberwolves
- Best of 2012 – Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Best of 2011 – Colorado Eagles
- Best of 2010 – Leigh Valley Iron Pigs
- Best of 2009 – Fresno Grizzlies
- Best of 2008 – Fresno Grizzlies/Columbus Blue Jackets
- Best of 2007 – New Orleans Hornets
- Best of 2006 – Miami Heat
- Best of 2005 – Lakewood Blue Claws
- Best of 2004 – Pittsburgh Pirates/Atlanta Thrashers
- Best of 2003 – Dayton Dragons
- Best of 2002 – Saint Paul Saints
- Best of 2001 – Houston Comets
Listen to the Best of 2018 Audio Round Table discussing all the categories and winners with out panel of Jon Cudo, Amanda Greco, Rob Wicall and Benjamin Hill. – December 2018 Podcast
Congratulations to the Best of 2018
Since 2007 the Best of Gameops.com award winners will receive The Golden Steagle™ Bobblehead trophy to commemorate their award. You can get the full history of the award on the Best of Awards page, including video from The Colbert Report where Stephen Colbert proclaims that receiving a Gameops.com award is “the Big Time.”
Winners may use the “Best of 2018” logo and “The Golden Steagle™” award designation in there promotional material or web site.
Winners will receive an award and letter from Gameops.com. If you receive any publicity or post the award announcement on your website, please let us know.
Thanks to our panel for helping sort through all the great submissions and for sharing their time and insight.