Best Game Promotion:
What game night promotion was most effective and creative. An example would be President’s Night Game where a team builds an game day promotion around a theme like “Presidents”, perhaps handing out US flags, and having namesakes like “George Washington, Richard Nixon, and George Bush” dropping the puck for a game held on President’s Day. Consider creativity, entertainment value, media exposure, drawing power, and execution of the operations.
Winner: Silent Night – Taylor University
Every year the Friday before final exams, Taylor University hosts the Silent Night Men’s Basketball game. In it, students remain quiet until the 10th point is scored and then erupt in cheering. In the late moments of the game, “Silent Night” is sung.
The exact date and origins of the tradition isn’t totally clear, but what is clear is the students and fans of the Taylor Trojans experience a truly amazing and memorable event each year. Panelist Pat Walker suggested Silent Night will go down in game ops lore due to its growing legacy and unclear beginnings.
Honorable Mention: Taco Truck Throwdown 2 and Dubuque Backwards Night
Fresno’s Taco Truck Throwdown is promotion that speaks eloquently to the local fans, where Taco Trucks are a significant part of the culture. As for former Fresno VP Scott Carter and Gameops.com Panelist noted, promotions are most effective when are unique to your market and speaks directly to you fans.
The second year of the Throwndown was a marked improvement over year one with more trucks, better logistics and additional awareness of the concept.
Dubuque’s Backwards Night was a tremendous example of a team going all-out with a concept. The Fighting Saints took an otherwise lifeless pre-season game and turned it on it’s head with a night that started with 3 Stars of the Game and ended with a puck-drop. Their execution touched on all aspects of the game and earned them an Honorable Mention from this year’s panel.
- Best of 2021 – Hershey Bears COVID Teddy Bear Toss
- Best of 2020 – Hershey Bears Teddy Bear Toss
- Best of 2019 – Helen McGuckin Night (Charleston Riverdogs)
- Best of 2018 – Joseph P. Reilly and the Amazing Technicolor Ballpark – Charleston Riverdogs
- Best of 2017 – Total Eclipse Game and Bob Ross Night
- Best of 2016 – Purple Game, Purple Game
- Best of 2015 – Swipe Right Night – Atlanta Hawks
- Best of 2014 – Seinfeld Night – Brooklyn Cyclones
- Best of 2013 – Star Wars Night – Toledo Walleye
- Best of 2012 – Silent Night at Taylor University
- Best of 2011 – Boston Bruins Military Appreciation Night
- Best of 2010 – Salute to Bubblewrap (Lowell Spinners)
- Best of 2009 – LeBron’s Powder Toss Night (Cleveland Cavaliers) and What Could Have Been Night (Bowling Green Hot Rods)
- Best of 2008 – World’s Largest Pillow Fight (Kane County Cougars) and Fan Bailout Plans (St. Louis Blues)
- Best of 2007 – Bob L. Head Bobblehead Giveaway (Portland Beavers)/150 years of Toilet Paper (Pensacola Pelicans)
- Best of 2006 – Brazilian Carnival (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Best of 2005 – Michael Jackson Tribute (Lake Elsinore Storm)
- Best of 2004 – Mullet Night (Manchester Monarchs)
- Best of 2003 – Awful Night (Altoona Curve)
- Best of 2002 – Hawks Playoff Guarantee (Atlanta Hawks)
- Best of 2001 – Red, White & Blue Out 9/11 Tribute (Texas A & M)
Listen to the Best of 2012 Audio Round Table discussing all the categories and winners with out panel of Cudo, Walker, Carter and Hill.
Gameops.com Plus is a network to enhance the fan value of events. Twice a month we gather for an hour-long discussion on an industry topic with a special guest to share their insights. Leaders like Zack Frongillo (Savannah Bananas), Steve Johnston (Kroenke Sports), Claire Czerniuk (Detroit Pistons), Zoltan Berensci (Harlem Globetrotters), John Franzone (Tampa Bay Lightning), Tyler Ferraro (Vegas Golden Knights), Maurice Brazelton (Sacramento Kings), Jackie Maldonado (Houston Texans), Todd Bosma (Portland Trail Blazers), and Anton Wright (MLSE) have discussed a wide range of industry topics.
Coming in November “Upping your Appearance Game with Kenn Solomon and Jon Cudo” (11/9 1pm EST) and “Excellence in Live Event Hosting with Greg Hutson” (11/22 1pm EST).